Food Industry Job Seekers Guide
Are you changing job, changing direction or looking for a job? We have links to lots of great free Resources to support your preparation e.g. Preparing your Resume and Cover Letter, Job Search Skills, Interview Skills
There is lots to consider as you start your preparation:
- Do you have a Career Plan?
- Would you prefer the Private or Public sector?
- Have you identified roles that appeal to you and fit with your career aspirations?
- What skills do you need to develop? We have links to 300 Free Online Training Courses and Training Videos to support knowledge and skill building. Our Blogs and Toolkits focus on specific knowledge development e.g. Product Development, Packaging, Supplier Quality
- Have you researched organisations you would like to work for?
- Have you identified the type of company culture you are looking for? Work is more meaningful when your personal values line up with company values.
- What size business would you like to work in e.g. Start-up, Small-Medium Business, Multinational Organisation,
- What Food Sector appeals to you? e.g. Dairy, Meat, Fisheries, Ingredients, Functional Foods?
- Do you have people in your network that can provide guidance and insight on roles that interest you?
- What type of role fits with your personal circumstances?
Prepare well for your interview.
Research the role, the company, their strategy, competitors, culture, reputation and the people you are meeting. Where possible talk to someone working in the company
If you have someone in your network with experience interviewing, practice in advance.
Employers look for technical, business and interpersonal skills when hiring. Be prepared for questions across all categories.
Thoroughly read the job specification and research the type of knowledge, skills and behaviours that the organization is looking for.
The STAR model is very helpful when preparing for interviews. Refer to the link ‘How to use the STAR Interview Response Technique’ for more information.
You will also need to prepare for questions on self awareness.
- What best describes you, how would your colleagues describe you?
- What motivates/demotivates you?
- What are your strengths and development areas?
- Have you received feedback in previous roles/in college, what did you learn ?
- What knowledge & experience have you gained from previous roles/college that would be valuable in the role?
- Are you looking for a specialist or a generalist role?
- What aspects of previous roles/college course did you enjoy/ dislike?
- What training and development have you completed, how has this grown your capability?
- What are you passionate about?
You can also use the personality test and emotional intelligence test links to explore further
The Food Industry is vast and provides great career opportunities. It takes time and perseverance to find a role that fits with your career aspirations and personal circumstances.
Learn what’s on our website for you